Study of creative arts is an integral part of our society. Children in Middle School are developing an ever-growing awareness of their place in a larger community. By finding a unique voice through art, children value the opportunity to express themself and make connections with the world. Students:
- Develop the concept of using art for personal expression, telling a story, and sharing a view or idea
- Explore more involved art methods, materials, and tools
- Conceptualize a project and see it through to completion
- Introduce art movements and artists
- Complete an informal critique of art work
- Students learn to express ideas and feelings through improvising, composing, and arranging music using musical notation and terminology. Technology plays a large part in our curriculum.
- Through our fully digital recording studio, students get a hands-on experience in composition, editing, and performing.
- Listening, analyzing, critiquing, demonstrating, and evaluating musical works is an important part of the music curriculum.
- Synthesizing knowledge of music in relation to history, culture, and heritage facilitate life-long learning.
To celebrate the joy and value that is found in various aspects of woodworking, Middle School Woodworkers:
- Review safe working procedures for the skills being used each day
- Use hand tools independently to create projects following student-created or existing plans
- Discuss more advanced woodworking techniques
- Incorporate laser engraving techniques into individually selected projects
- Formulate the best use of materials and techniques to create a working clock